how many shades of brown can you find in this photo?
Below zero in March and I have some cold days out on the slopes in my immediate future. Time to practice up on some BBQ staples. Raise your hand if you like baked beans. Nice. How about a cold bean sandwich on soft bread with a little mustard. Not as many hands but still a few. My youngest sister was the champion bean maker in our house. Hers were so good I never bothered to learn for the longest time.
Homemade beans are a thrifty New Englander's birthright. Slow cooked in a crock pot or in our case the worlds most expensive crock pot, the Aga's Simmer Oven. You can taste the sweet and bitter molasses, smell the hint of maple and feel the warmth of a home cooked meal. I put these in the oven in the morning and headed out the door for a day of skiing at Cannon Mt in New Hampshire. Fresh baked beans and a big fluffy dog were waiting for us upon return.
Let's see how this went down in the Aga Kitchen. I soaked the beans the nite before but they will cook just fine even if you don't soak your beans.
holy bubbling baked beans Batman!
Baked Beans New England Style
Gather up these tools and ingredients
- 3 qt heavy pan with a nice fitting lid
- 5 cups boiling water. Put the water in the Roasting Oven to heat up while you are gathering the rest of the ingredients. Always thinking of ways to save heat, use the oven!
- 2 cups dry navy beans, picked thru and soaked overnight or not (more nutrious if you skip the soak)
- 3oz salt pork cut into 5 equal pieces simmered in water for 5 minutes*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion small dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce or ketchup
*If you are a vegan / vegetarian you should skip the salt pork because it's made from an animal
Put everything together in the pot except the tomato product (the acidity toughens the legumes), mix real well and add hot water from Roasting Oven. Put the lid on and in the Simmer Oven for 12 hours or so.
Give them a nice stir, smells good. Add tomato product
Remove lid and into the Baking Oven to cook another hour or so.
Taste and adjust seasoning,