One of my wife's favorites. Clear broth rich with simple vegetables and bok choy seasoned lime, cilantro and a touch of heat. I managed to make all of this without lifting the lid, 100% in the ovens. The Aga is the master of making exceptional clear broth but store bought is OK (for you, not so much for me).
This is a pretty straight forward meal. Let's get to it.
Gather up your favorite soup pot with a lid and the following
- 1 small onion, julienne
- 1 small carrot, thin slices
- 2 stalks of celery, peeled, thin slices
- 2 heads of baby bok choy or half head of grown-up bok choy, medium dice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and mashed
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, cooked and cut into soup sized pieces
- 4 C chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 T fresh cilantro
- fresh ginger, 8 seconds on a micro planer or to taste
- 1/2 lime, zest and juice
- soy sauce, just a splash or to taste
- sesame oil, 1/4 t optional
- 1 t fish sauce
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
Sweat the onion, celery and carrot with a drop of oil and a pinch of salt in Baking Oven for approximately 10 minutes. Onion should be soft and translucent.
Add garlic and bok choy, put lid on pot and back into Baking Oven for 10 minutes
Add cooked chicken and stock, into Baking Oven for 15 minutes with lid
Remove from oven and add the rest of ingredients, taste and adjust
Serve with rice, rice noodles or just straight up. We often have this for breakfast with a poached egg, perfect.
Good luck, Gerry