This is a variation on a Cooks Illustrated article about making cabbage cool like brussel sprouts (aka baby cabbage).
I had some cauliflower in the fridge and a nice leek. These are pretty delicate flavors, all I seasoned them with is fresh lemon and parsley.
Top this with grilled sausage, lamb chops or even a fat juicy burger off the grill. Maybe a little sweet potato puree to round out the colors on the plate.
Here's how this went down in Agakitchen. Gather up these supplies.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, small pieces
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 leek, small dice
- some oil and butter
- 1/2 a lemon squeezed
- 1/4 head flat parsley
- nice heavy 12' diameter pan with a lid, I used my Le Creuset brazier. Someday I won't be strong enough to pick it up, it's a tank.
- good judgement
Step by step
- sweat the leek in a little oil, once soft remove from pan a save for later
- put pan on Simmer Plate and add about 2 T butter and 2 T oil, once butter quiets down add cauliflower, season. Set timer for two minutes
- Add cabbage, season, no need to stir, let the cauliflower brown in butter
- Add reserved leeks, no need to stir
- Put on the lid
- Timer goes beep and you put on the floor of the roasting oven, trying to get the cauliflower and some cabbage to brown a little
- Set timer for 8 minutes......beep
- Back onto the Simmer plate while you stir and taste
- Add lemon and parsley....taste, adjust if needed
- D U N spells done, rhymes with fun.