I love chicken. I love to cook. I love my Aga. I love to try new things. Put all these loves together and you get yet another roast chicken recipe. I won't declare this the best but I will declare it the best make ahead way to have roast chicken for a dinner party with no mess for you or clunky bones for your guests. Pretty quick cook time to boot.
Lets see how this went down in my Agakitchen.
Put your big roasting pan on floor of the Roasting Oven first. Now gather up these ingredients
- 1 whole fresh chicken, best quality you can afford. I'm a fan of air-cooled Smart Chickens. This one weighed 4.5 lb.
- 1 each, celery stalk, carrot, small onion, 1 cup yellow turnip (optional)
- parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, all fresh, at my local IGA you can buy them as a set called "Poultry Mix". Smart
- 2 T oil
- 2 T unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
Now do as I say and use good judgement.
- chunk up your vegetables aka mire poix, put in steel bowl and toss with oil
- rinse and dry your chicken, season with S&P
- remove roasting pan from hot oven and add mire poix. Spread out leaving a space for chicken in center of pan.
- put seasoned bird in center of pan and tuck mire poix around bird.
- into Roasting Oven on the floor for 30 minutes.
- timer goes beep and onto floor of Baking Oven for 30 minutes
- timer goes beep again, baste with 1/2 cup water,let's check this birds temperature
- thick part of the breast should be at a minimum of 160 F, it will carry over to 165 for safe eating. This should have your darker leg meat around 175 F. This makes for tender legs. If your bird is less than this back into oven, use good judgement and a thermometer to verify your good judgement.
- take the bird and the mirepoix out of the pan and let rest in warm spot for 30- 60 minutes. This is where the fun starts. Keep all the pan drippings in your roasting pan, you'll need these later
This is the ultimate make ahead roast chicken, while it's best eaten right now it's a super easy make ahead meal that reheats beautifully and quickly. Another Aga miracle. After the bird has cooled down enough for you to handle do this.
- carefully remove skin in as large a piece as you can. put on a sheetpan and into the Simmer Oven, top rung.
- using your hands pull all the meat off the carcass, think pulled pork. Be sure to get all the little tasty pieces off the back and keep and eye out when taking apart the legs for any tendons or visible fat. Add the meat to the roasting pan.
- add 2 T unsalted butter to the chicken and juices, use a spatula and mix until butter is incorporated.
- feeling crazy, add some fresh herbs. parsley tastes best.
- taste it, adjust seasoning if needed. serve to your guests or save for later. this will keep for 6 days in the fridge with little flavor loss
There it is, roast chicken, pan drippings, a little butter and crispy skin. This is an ideal make ahead dish. Pro tip: If you want to add a little more seasoning to the dish try using a flaked sea salt.