fork tender, fork shredded, fork ready Can you plan ahead? Super helpful with this recipe. Takes a solid 6 hours. Don't let your co-workers say "oh!I can do that in my crockpot." Not true: Aga's rule, crockpots drool.
This is great for Super Bowl nachos, tacos, wonton fillings, anything that ground beef can do shredded beef can do better.
sprinkled liberally with kosher salt
Let's see how this goes down in the Agakitchen. Gather up these ingredients. Don't let the length of recipe fool you, this is pretty simple.
- 3 lbs, chuck roast, my wife has gotten very good at looking for chuck roast of any kind on sale. Your's should learn to do the same
- 1/4 cup spice rub, use a chili seasoning and jazz it up with extra cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, etc. taste it before you se it.
- 1/4 cup ketchup, chili sauce or crushed tomato
- thickly sliced onion, pepper, carrots. Check out photos after recipe!
- time, lot's of time, like 6 to 8 hours
Cook it like this
- In a large bowl big enough to toss your roast mix your spices.
- Chop your veggies and lay in bottom of pan that has a tight fittting lid.
- Sprinkle your meat liberally with kosher salt.
- Toss meat with spices
- Toss your meat with tomato product and rub it all in real nice.
- Place on top of veggies and put lid on.
- Into the Baking Oven for 30 minutes.
- Timer goes beep and move into Simmer Oven for 6 to 8 hours. I usually do this before I go to bed and pull it out after I get my beauty sleep (solid 8 hours to look this good on a consistent basis)
- Take off the lid and into the Roasting Oven for 30 minutes or so to dry out the meat and create a little bark. Test for doneness by putting a fork in it and see if you can turn the fork with little resistance.
- Remove from pan and let rest. Puree cooking liquid with veggies for sauce. I add a drop of vinegar.
- Once it's cool enough to handle shred with a fork. Or your hands.
From here it's really easy to heat up for tacos, turn into beef & sweet potato hash, nachos for Super Bowl, sandwich, wontons, etc etc. Keeps for six days in fridge and freezes well.
veggies cut so they lift beef out of liquid