Welcome non-Aga owners (I linked from my companies web page: two birds with one stone). Nice springtime recipe great with roasted or grilled asparagus. Burnt orange adds a nice charred flavor and the heat helps release more juice.
Let's see how we did this in the Agakitchen.
Gather up these ingredients, feeds two adults nicely
- a big juicy orange, cut in half at the equator
- 2 T white wine
- 1 T finely diced shallot*
- 1 bay leaf**
- 3 T cold unsalted butter, keep in fridge until last moment
Now do as I say
- In a medium hot stainless skillet or on your outside grill, if you happen to have it on, char the flesh side of the oranges. If you own an Aga just place in on the floor of the Roasting Oven for approximately 9 minutes, use good judgement
- Juice the orange
- Add the wine, shallot, and bay leaf into a non reactive sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and reduce by 75%
- Using low heat swirl the butter into the sauce. I use a fork to spin the butter all around.
- Turn off the heat, taste, season, and serve
* I keep the rest of the shallot in the freezer
** Guess what, I also keep bay leaves in freezer too